Research has shown that the early years of young children have a strong influence in their achievements in the later years. With the increasing amount of time young children spent in preschools, it is vital that preschool and kindergarten teachers be trained in both teaching pedagogical skills and in understanding of growth and development of young children.
This 1200 hour course is specially designed for preschool and kindergarten teachers to improve their teaching skills and knowledge of young children.
The Course aims to:
- Enable students to transfer education philosophies and child development theories into developmentally appropriate experiences
- Enable students to be skilful in their role of observation and application of knowledge of child development
- Present students with a variety of approaches and strategies which facilitate the development of appropriate curriculum
- Enable students to develop interpersonal and communication skills to collaborate with fellow colleagues, parents and other professionals in the community
- Help students design, implement and evaluate learning environments and classroom activities.
Principles and Practices in Early Childhood Education
Early Childhood Development Studies
Curriculum and Pedagogy
Personal Growth and Professional Development
Safety, Health and Nutrition
Working with Families
This course consist of:
- 900 classroom hours
- 300 practicum hours
Total: 1200 hours
- 20 months (Full-time)
A range of individual and group projects, quizzes, presentations, role-plays and practicum.
Note: Some projects will include practical tasks such as implementing activities in an Early Childhood classroom settings.
Award of Certificate
Upon successful completion of coursework and practicum, and a minimum of 80% attendance, students will be awarded the International Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education issued by KLC International Institute, Singapore.
- At least 17 years old; AND
- Minimum 12 years of formal education; OR
- GCE A-level (minimum 2 credits), IB Diploma, or other equivalent pre-university certifications; OR
- Polytechnic diploma or equivalent
- GCE O-level C6 grade in English Language; OR
- IELTS 5.5 or other equivalents
All fees stated are inclusive of prevailing GST and are in Singapore dollars.
Students are required to pay a non-refundable application fee of $291.60 upon course sign-up.
Medical insurance coverage of $464.20 (per year) is mandatory for international students.
- Student pass holders are not permitted to engage in any form of employment or attend an industrial attachment/internship programme, whether paid or unpaid, without a valid work pass issued by Ministry of Manpower.
- This course has not been accredited by the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA), the effect of which is that the course will not be recognised as a professional qualification required for the registration of pre-school teachers in Singapore. This condition will be in effect until such time that the PEI provides evidence to CPE that the course has been officially accredited by ECDA.
Course fees are subjected to changes without prior notice. For a full schedule of the miscellaneous fees, please click here.