The WSQ Professional Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (Childcare) is designed to deliver as a Professional Conversion Programme (PCP) for childcare teachers and prepare trainees who aspire to work in the early childhood field. It aims to provide the basis for effective teaching of and interaction with young children through a thorough examination of both the theoretical and practical knowledge of child development at a higher level. Effective communication skills and ability to work with parents and others are also greatly emphasised in this course.
- Enable students to transfer education philosophies and child development theories into practices which provide wide-ranging, multimedia and developmentally appropriate experiences for young children
- Enable students to be skillful in their role of observation and application of knowledge of child development, in order to design a learning environment that meets the needs of each individual child
- Present students with a variety of approaches and strategies which facilitate a creative and developmentally appropriate curriculum for young children
- Enable students to develop interpersonal and communication skills to collaborate with fellow colleagues, parents and other professionals in the community
- Help students design, implement and evaluate learning environments and classroom activities based on the Pre-school education curriculum framework/goals and desired outcomes
|VISIONING AND PLANNING
|INTERACTIONS AND RELATIONSHIPS
|CURRICULUM AND PEDAGOGY
|HEALTH, SAFETY AND NUTRITION
|FAMILY AND COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS
|PROFESSIONAL MASTERY, VALUES AND ETHICS
|TEAMWORK AND COLLABORATION
This course consist of:
- 500 classroom hours
- 200 practicum hours
Total: 700 hours
- 12 months (Full-time)
A range of individual and group projects, quizzes, presentations, role-plays and practicum.
Note: Some projects will include practical tasks such as observation of children and implementing activities in Early Childhood classroom settings.
Award of Certificate
Upon successful completion of coursework and practicum, and a minimum of 80% attendance, trainees will be awarded the WSQ Professional Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (Childcare).
Applicants must have the following:
- Bachelor Degree (with English as medium of instruction) OR
- 3 years full-time Local Polytechnic Diploma; AND
- At least a credit in GCE ‘O’ Level EL1* or English Language Acceptable alternatives
*Those with a C5 or C6 in EL1 are given 2 years from the point of teacher registration to obtain either a B4 or any acceptable alternatives.
- Degree with English as medium of instruction from state recognised university^ *
^ Note: This also applies to applicants with state-recognised PhD/Master degree with English as the medium of instruction. *Those with a C5 or C6 in EL1 are given 2 years from the point of teacher registration to obtain either a B4 or any acceptable alternatives.
All Singaporeans aged 25 and above can use their $500 SkillsFuture Credit from the government to pay for a wide range of approved skills-related courses.
Visit the SkillsFuture Credit website (www.skillsfuture.sg/credit) to choose from the courses available on the SkillsFuture Credit course directory.
Professional Conversion Programme (PCP) for Pre-School Teachers
The PCP operates in the Place-and-Train mode where ECDA-licensed Childcare Centres will employ trainees before commencement of the Programme. Successful trainees under this programme will receive a course sponsorship and monthly salary from employer, and are required to work at their place of employment and attend classes at KLCII during the full duration of the programme. As trainees are company sponsored, trainees are required to undertake a bond with their employers.
To qualify, trainees must:
- Meet the minimum entry requirements as stated above
- Be a new entrant to the Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) sector in Singapore
- Not have worked at an ECDA-licensed Childcare Centre for more than 6 months from date of course registration
Note: This programme is applicable to Singaporeans & Singapore PRs only.
|The following components name||Course Fee|
|Full course fee (without 7% GST)||$8,200.00|
|Nett course fee||$2,460.00|
|7% GST on nett course fee||$172.20|
|Total nett course fee payable, including GST||$2,632.20|
|Additional funding if eligible under Workfare Training Support (WTS)^||$2,050.00|
|Total nett course fee payable, including GST, after additional funding from WTS^||$582.20|
|Additional funding if eligible under Enhanced Training Support for SMEs (ETSS)#||$1,640.00|
|Total nett course fee payable, including GST, after additional funding from ETSS#||$992.20|
|Additional funding if eligible under Mid-career Enhanced Subsidy (MCES)+||$1,640.00|
|Total nett course fee payable, including GST, after additional funding from Mid-career Enhanced Subsidy (MCES)+||$992.20|
Course Fee are effective from 1 April 2017
Note: All fees stated above are applicable for self-fund applicants only.
For company -sponsored applicants, KLCII will bill companies based on 70%/90% SSG funding, and any additional schemes that employees are applicable for (e.g. WTS, ETSS for SMEs, MCES) will need to be claimed separately by employers directly via SkillsConnect.
All fees stated are inclusive of prevailing GST and are in Singapore dollars. Students are required to pay a non-refundable application fee of $85.60 (local students), $288.90 (international students) upon course sign-up.
- *Course fee funding available for Singaporeans/PRs
- ^Course fee funding of WTS 95% available for Singaporeans aged 35 years old & above + earning $2,000 & below per month
- #For company-sponsored applicants, Enhanced Training Support for SMEs funding can be applied through www.skillsconnect.gov.sg.
- For companies that meet the eligibility requirements, absentee payroll capped at $4.50/hr based on classroom hours can be claimed through the SkillsConnect system (www.skillsconnect.gov.sg).
- NTUC members enjoy 50% unfunded course fee support for up to $250 each year when you sign up for courses supported under UTAP** (Union Training Assistance Programme).
Course fees are subjected to changes without prior notice. For a full schedule of the miscellaneous fees, please click here.
** Terms & Conditions apply.